Tropical Makeup Tutorial + What I miss back home
I know it is not summer yet in the U.S., but I thought of creating a tropical look since it is already summer in my hometown, the Philippines. I love this look because it is simple, yet my skin looks radiant and healthy. Having tan skin warms up your complexion. When I used to live back home, I often got a tan instantly since it is sunny there most of the time. Sigh… Oh, how I miss it back home! Of course, I am home right now with my wonderful husband and children. In my heart, home will also be the place where I used to live. I was born in Manila, but raised in Marinduque. Marinduque is a small island in the heart of the Philippines. Beautiful coconut trees are everywhere, beaches are within walking distance, and small island-beaches with white sand and corals are just a few minutes away by boat. I miss waking up to the noise of the chickens and tricycles, but not the barking dogs 😉 Did I mention that the food there is delicious and cheap too? There are many things there that I really miss!
The experience of living on a small island, taught me how to be humble and share what I have now. God taught me to appreciate all the food that I have to eat, the clothes that I wear and the home that I live in today. Although, living in the U.S. has spoiled me in some ways. For example, I like taking long showers, and that back home, we only had water in town from the morning until the late afternoon. We also didn’t have a shower, we used a bucket. I also like using the dishwasher instead of washing dishes manually. Where I grew up, we didn’t have a dishwasher either. There are so many differences, but there are also so many things to learn! Here’s a photo of one of the beautiful beaches of Marinduque.
Tres Reyes Island
These photos make me feel homesick 😉
Alright, here’s how I created this Tropical makeup look that is perfect for the summer:
For the Face:
- I used a sheer to medium type of foundation and used my fingers to apply it all over my face. I found the BareMinerals Complexion Rescue (Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream) and I fell in love with it! If you are looking for a lightweight foundation this summer with a glow, I recommend this product! This is a perfect combination for those who have dry skin.
- Apply liquid concealer under the eyes. The liquid type is easy to blend and it won’t cake (if you apply it in thin layers) compared to other concealer types, like cream. Liquid concealer is also perfect if you want to achieve a look with a natural finish.
- By using a big round brush, I used the bronzer powder around my face and the sides of my cheeks to warm up and add glow to my complexion. I didn’t use any blush for this look. Instead, I used a mix of bronzer powder and the pinkish highlighter of Pacifica Beauty palette.
For the Eyes:
- I used a retractable eyebrow pencil to fill up my brows. Use your finger tip to soften harsh lines.
- I applied liquid concealer all over my eyelids to even out some discoloration on them. I used the bronzer powder to create this eye makeup look by using a flat brush, and applying the bronzer powder onto the outer and inner corner of my eyes. Use a clean blending brush to blur the edges. I used the lighter bronzer from the Pacifica Beauty palette to the center of the eyelid and top some highlighter afterwards. Makeup tips: To make the bronzer look more metallic and brings out the color, do the technique of make your brush wet a little bit (I used spray bottle) and mix it up with the bronzer powder.
- Only apply thin eyeliner. I used liquid pen eyeliner (you can also use eyeliner pencil). Make sure it’s really close to the lashline. Curl your lashes and apply mascara. I prefer no false lashes for a more natural look, but if you’d like false lashes, try natural or individual falsies.
- For the lower lash line, I used eyeliner in natural shade for waterline to open up my eyes. I also used a small brush to apply the bronzer powder on the lower lash line.
- Next, I used a highlighter for the tear ducts and blended the edges so that it looked natural.
- To finish the eyes, I applied a matte medium contour powder to the upper side of my nose to create some depth.
For the lips:
- To start, I used a burgundy lip liner all over my lips. Make sure you outline your lips too, except for your upper lip. Instead of using the lip liner, I used a bronzer powder to create a glow on the top of my lips. Finally, I used my fingertip to apply the bronzer powder onto the center of my lips, and blended it well to finish the look.
P.S. here’s a photo from my last trip to Marinduque, in 2013 with my husband. If you want to know more about Marinduque and are looking for fresh seafood, as well as a relaxing and friendly place to stay for vacation (that’s cheap too!) visit this page.
What’s your plan for this summer? Do you have favorite bronzer?
By the way, I’m on Snapchat! Add me up, ememist