Do-It-Yourself Sling Sandals (Perfect for Summer!)
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SimplySmooth #CollectiveBias
It’s flip flop season y’all! Today, I’m sharing a DIY hack for sling sandals that are really comfy and are much cheaper than in stores. I’ve always wanted to have these types of sandals, and I’m happy that I was able to make them on my own. Plus, I spent less than $5! I love wearing flip flops all the time, whether it’s when my kids and I go out to the park, or when we’re meeting up with friends for playdates. However, sometimes I want to wear something more casual and comfortable. These sling sandals are WINNERS, especially when wearing a dress! If you’d like to learn how I created these sandals, scroll down and enjoy the tutorial!
Materials you will need:
- Flip Flops (new or old is fine)
- Stretch Knit Fabric (You can use an old shirt if the fabric is stretchy)
- Chopstick or small paint brush (anything that can go through the three holes of the flip flops)
- You will need 4 fabric straps. Cut two straps that are 5” wide and 22” long (longer or shorter depending on your shoe size), and then cut out two shorter straps at 5” wide and 11” long. Remove the rubber straps of the flip flops. You can use scissors. TIP: It’s better to use separate scissors for the fabric and for the rubber strap of the sandals to avoid ruining the scissors.
2. Fold both sides of the long fabric strap along the center. Following the diagram above, fold along the dotted line.
3. Join both ends of the strap together. Then, make a V-shape cut resembling something like a necktie. This way, it will be easier to push the end of the strap into the flip flop hole.
4. Push the end of the strap with the v-shape into the top hole. I used my paint brush,which I found easier to use than a pencil or a pen. You can use a chopstick as well. After pushing the strap through the hole, knot the strap to secure it. You can also try the sandals on if you’d like before knotting so you know how tight the fabric straps are. This will allow you to make any necessary adjustments.When you have the fit you want, cut off any excess fabric.
5. Use the same fold for the short straps. Overlap the short fabric strap over the long fabric strap as shown in the image above.
And here’s the finished DIY Sling Sandals! They’re super comfy and easy to create. I actually wore these sandals last Sunday to church and they were perfectly comfortable to wear. I matched them with my summer dress, sinceshorts, skirts, and dresses are a must in hot Texas weather..
Another must in hot Texas weather is making sure my legs are moisturized and hair-free. If you shave your legs, you know how shaving can make hair grow back thicker, faster, and can create bumps. When I used to live in the Philippines, I would go to salons to have my legs waxed (it’s a lot cheaper there). Now that I live in the US, I’m glad I’ve found an easy-to-use and safe wax to apply at home. I picked up Sally Hansen wax strips for the body at Walmart. What I love about this product is that I feel confident and hair-free for up to 8 weeks as compared to shaving, where hair comes back after just 3 short days!. Sally Hansen is a well-known and trusted brand when it comes to hair removal products – that’s why they have been in the business for many years!
Tips: For better results, wait for your hair to grow for at least 2-5 days. When removing the strip,pull backwards – NOT upwards. Do this quickly in the opposite direction of the hair growth. Make sure your legs are clean, oil-free, and dry before using the wax strip. I like to use a wet wash cloth and wipe off any excess hair downward in the direction of the hair growth.
I also tried the microwavable wax for eyebrows, face, and lips. It was my first time waxing my brows. To be honest, I felt worried that my eyebrows would get waxed in half or something like that. However, Sally Hansen offers an eyebrow adhesive as a guideline and these help protect the hairs you don’t want to wax. After finishing my waxing, I realized how easy and painless it was compared to plucking my eyebrows (Ouch!). Again, you won’t get unwanted hair for up to 8 weeks! Sally Hansen eyebrow adhesive also comes with a blue spatula to help you determine if the wax is too hot or when it’s ready to use. Cool isn’t it?
How will you wear these sling sandals? To learn more about how to get smooth, hair-free legs, check out these video tutorials
“Dear friends, we must love each other because love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born from God and knows God.” 1 John 4:7